Stained glass windows
Old ChurchCategorie: Old Church
The beautiful stained glass windows of the Old Church add to its distinctive look and feel. When sunbeams fall on these 'window stories', they create a spectacle of light, angles and colours.
The first stained glass window was installed in the Old Church in 1406, and more were added in the same century. But the city fire of 1536 and the Delft Thunderclap of 1654 (a gunpowder explosion) unfortunately destroyed them all.
Plain glass replaced the originals, and it was not until the 20th century that new stained glass windows were installed, one by one. The church now features 27 of them, each telling their own story. This distinctive collection is regarded as the crowning achievement of the renowned glazier Joep Nicolas.
The windows of the Old Church are extremely colourful, featuring ochre yellows, heavenly blues, deep reds and dark greens. Most of them depict Biblical stories, such as the Parable of the Prodigal Son, and the story of baby Moses. But there are also a number of interesting memorial windows, such as the Liberation window and the Wilhelmina window.